The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) National Education Agreement (NEA) articulates the commitment of Australian governments to ensure that all Australian school students acquire the knowledge and skills to participate effectively in society and employment in a globalised economy.
- all children are engaged in, and benefiting from, schooling
- young people are meeting basic literacy and numeracy standards, and overall levels of literacy and numeracy achievement are improving
- Australian students excel by international standards
- schooling promotes social inclusion and reduces the education disadvantage of children, especially Indigenous children
- young people make a successful transition from school to work and further study.